- Patio covers are one-story structures not exceeding 12 feet in height.
- Patio covers shall be used for recreational, outdoor living purposes and not as carports, garages, storage rooms or habitable rooms.
- Openings shall be permitted to be enclosed with insect screening.
- Enclosure walls shall be permitted to be any configuration, provided the open area of the longer wall and one additional wall is equal to at least 65% of the area below a minimum of 6’-8” of each wall, measured from the floor.
- Exterior openings required for light and ventilation shall be permitted to open into a patio structure. However, the patio structure shall be completely unenclosed if such openings are serving as emergency egress or rescue openings from sleeping rooms.
- Where the patio cover is connected to an existing building there shall be no window, door, or other openings under the patio cover that are greater than 6 feet wide.
- The California Building Code requires that the minimum distance from property line to the proposed patio cover shall be 5 feet. Please see the Zoning Ordinance for zoning requirements.
- Carports shall be entirely open on two or more sides.
- Where the carport is connected to an existing building there shall be no window, door, or other openings under the carport that are greater than 6 feet wide.
- Minimum distance from property line to proposed carport shall be 5 feet.
- No modification shall be made to these plans unless approval is obtained.
- The use of this standard plan is limited to residential occupancies and accessory structures.
- This plan must be accompanied by a plot plan prepared in compliance with Plot Plan Minimum Requirements (PDS 090).
- All work shall comply with the 2013 California Building Code and/or 2013 California Residential Code,as amended and adopted by the County of San Diego.
- Minimum Construction Specifications (PDS 081) shall be used in conjunction with this plan.
- Outdoor lighting shall comply with the County of San Diego Outdoor Lighting Ordinance.
- Outdoor lighting fixtures shall be high-efficacy luminaires or a photo-control/motion-sensor combination.
- Framing members shall be Douglas Fir-Larch #2 or better.
- Fasteners for preservative treated wood shall be of hot dipped zinc-coated galvanized steel, stainless steel, silicon bronze, or copper.
- The horizontal distance from the bottom leading edge of footings to daylight shall be 7’-0” minimum.